30 September 2009

Paris

I have wanted to see Paris since I was a child and the time was right after I got my disability. Things just fell into place kinda at the last moment. I found a good flight and nice hotel and booked it. The packages were much more expensive, so I researched like crazy.

I went alone. Some people were surprised and some people thought me brave. Thing is, I don't know anyone else here that has had this dream as I have. So, who could I go with?

The hotel was charming, only 33 rooms the brochure says. I was on the 4th floor overlooking the one-way street. Across me was another olde building with a shield of arms saying 1847! It was some kind of business and I could see people working across the street periodically.

Well, Paris is Paris. Words cannot describe it as anyone lucky enough to have been there knows. I was breathless, speechless, full of awe, amazed. It was phenomenal, fantastic. I want to go back.

I was only there only for six nights. Had I more money, I would have stayed longer of course. There's always next time. I was in Marais near La Place de la Republique on a charming little rue hidden by some arches in a business district.

I bought a Metro Pass for the week although I used the Metro twice. A, I got lost somewhat, B, it's exhausting with a bum knee and a cane walking up and down those stairs and it got very hot down there, and C. I didn't get to see Paris firsthand. The pass was good for the bus also, so I bused around.

I did not come across the mythological rude Parisian. Au contraire, a woman actually offered me her seat on the metro! All the people I came across were very nice and forthcoming.

I wound up walking over most of the place. I found an energy I had not had in ages and I was the Energizer Bunny, I just kept going and going. When I'd get tired, I'd buy a beverage and catch my breath at one of the many beautifully landscaped parks while I read up on my Paris books and wrote in my travel journal. What a cliché!

Every street was an adventure and every building a treasure. I have always been one for architecture and Paris is an architectural paradise.

I walked down la rue Sebastopol and saw the steeples of Notre Dame looming in the distance urging me on. It's a huge building of course, but I thought it small for Hugo's characters. I bought a panini and small bottle of wine and enjoyed it in a small parc in back of Notre Dame recommended by a fabulous friend, Greg.

I got on a BatoBus (Boat taxi) and glided through history. Le Louvre on my right, followed by L'Arch de Triomphe and around the bend on the left, Le Tour Eiffel peaked out from the top of some buildings and slowly appeared in front of me.

My mouth was on the floor. I walked under it and just looked up. Amazing. I did not go up because the queues were just too long and I wanted to do some much in so little time.

La Conciergerie in front of Notre Dame where Marie Antoinette spent the last few months of her life. Tragic. And then to see La Place de La Concorde by Le Louvre where she was taken in that two wheeled cart shackled like a beast in humiliation to her death. It brought a tear to my eye.

Pere Lachaise, the famous cemetery, city of the dead within the famed City of Light. I meandered through the rues looking for the famous and infamous. I spent three hours looking and pondering and thinking of the inevitable.

Sacre Coeur, I did not get to go. I saw it from a tour bus. They have a great tour bus that you can hop on four different tours that highlight four parts of the city. This was Montmartre where Le Moulin Rouge is located.

The foods were great. Duh! The aromas wafted throughout the rues and boulevards inviting one to sample the succulent dishes of other countries. I did not have French food though! I had Indian, Turkish, Cuban, and Italian food. I did have my morning espresso with un baguette and un croissant though.

All my senses were invigorated and I saw, touched, smelled, tasted, and felt Paris. My mind's eye was awakened and words flew out onto my journal. I read it now and I am back somewhere in Paris.

I had no problems with communication. I spoke French and Spanish mostly while there.

Get this. It's almost like I never even went. I bought a digital camera and I took five pictures and then the thing didn't work! I had the instruction booklet and that didn't help. I wound up buying a disposable camera at the last moment. But there are no photos of me in Paris.

And then when I got home and was putting stuff away, I saw my passport was not stamped! I was gypped! I HAVE to return if not just to get the thing stamped.

It was well worth the effort. Dreams are fabulous when they come true. I still walk around and see Paris. My new happy place is Paris.


2 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful that you were able to expeirence such a fantasic place. I too will someday visit Europe. I am so glad that you discovered it to be your happy place in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, mon ami, Paris est beau. Rappelez-vous que vous pouvez toujours retourner, dans votre esprit, à la ville que vous aimez tellement. J'espère que vous allez bien. Rappelez-vous, le seul Français Patti LaBelle à un âge très jeune t'a enseigné que vous devrez toujours vraiment connaître.

    ReplyDelete