05 September 2009

Disclosure

So there I was with my power symbol and my meds in hand. The next step was to disclose my status to loved ones. I was out of state so I called around for cheap airfare, I planned on doing this in person. They do not have any I-Just-Found-Out-I-Had-AIDS rates, so you know what I had to do.

I called family and they all said come home. They knew the power a family has and my relationship was pretty much over. We cried of course and I assured everyone I was okay as I explained the little I knew of the disease.

I had so many wonderful friends where I was and I was actually able to tell one couple of my situation. They were shocked and very understanding. And a hug never felt so good. People tend to run away as if we're contagious where it's actually us that might catch an illness.

There were other cherished friends, but I could never speak to them because I was usually with my partner. I was able to talk to them over the phone and via email when I finally left.

And all these beautiful people are still around and check up on me via email and I get warm fuzzies in the mail once in a while. They are all part of my support system.

No comments:

Post a Comment