03 September 2009

3 T-cells

So there I was at the hospital and it really had not sunk in. AIDS. I was given some prescriptions and orders for labwork. They took 16 vials of blood for whatever tests they called for. As I walked to the parking lot, I was in a daze and all I could think of was I have to get dinner going for my partner.

My partner was very difficult to talk to so I kept mum on the subject and he knew I had scripts and labwork done. You may wonder, why did I not get tested? We both got tested before we got into the relationship and we both tested negative. After that, I tested every six months or so then I figured why bother since it was a 'monogamous' relationship. I certainly wasn't looking to play around and I thought neither did he. Boy was I wrong, but why did he test negative?

I was on sick leave because I was contagious, not to mention I could not work the keyboard with one hand. So I got all my meds the next day and started taking them. You may wonder what the difference is between HIV and AIDS. HIV is the virus present in the body and AIDS is when one's t-cell count falls below 200 or has had an opportunistic infection. I had both.



No comments:

Post a Comment