10 March 2021

MY EARLY EDUCATION

 My education began with Eva teaching me how to read and write. I used to look down on my education, thinking it was below par. After much thinking, I am privileged to have had it. 

I was forced to go to Our Lady of Guadalupe Parochial school. My Dad did not want me to go to school with the inferior neighborhood kids. 

In school we were taught speed reading, penmanship, and grammar like everybody else. My grammar used to be fabulous. I was great in English and did not learn about comma splices or dangling participles. I was finally exposed to it in college. As soon as Mrs Billingsley said it, I learned how to use poor grammar.

The nuns taught us in Montessori. We were independent and went at our own pace. I was way ahead of the rest of course. I finished all the modules quickly and correctly, of course.

We were also introduced to music. We used to sing all kinds of music. I know now that some were Broadway music. We used to analyze songs as well as singing them. I had a blast. 

They also taught us dance. I remember dancing to Fascination and we were introduced to classic Mexican music. They tried to teach us the dances, but we weren't that thrilled about it.

I do remember a nun giving me a fabulous book, something like 30 days to a new vocabulary or something like that. It was a fabulous read. I still remember some of the words and I have built my vocabulary because of this book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGiB1myCCOU


No comments:

Post a Comment