23 March 2021

1958-A GREAT YEAR FOR FILMS

Auntie Mame. If you're a faggot you know who she is. I first saw this tome with my fabulous sister, Eva. She might actually have been a fruitfly now that I think about it. 

Auntie Mame was written by Patrick Dennis in 1955. The play opened in 1956 with Roz Russell in the lead. She was nominated for a Tony but won a Golden Globe instead. 

I've introduced her to a lot of friends. Clyde, Sondra, and I always said 1958 was a great year for films. Of course this is true because we were all born in 1958.

I showed this to Joel, and he loved it of course. He said she was me. At one point in time, I had made him and other ESL students to write down anything they did not understand and I would explain them. 

Fast forward to the late 70s. We were at Hippie Hollow in Austin with some friends and he started to talk about her and we started to quote some of her lines. 

Everyone I know has met her and adored her. I actually have a copy of the book. It is much different than the film. It's a cherished treasure. 

Somewhere along the way, I had a black lacquer cigarette holder. It was black with a red band surrounded by rhinestones. It vanished sometime during my adventures. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_3yUNA1XBI


No comments:

Post a Comment