15 June 2010

Results

I went to get the results of last week's surgery. Being quite the optimist, I told my doctor nothing's wrong, right? He said no, but I need to check you out today.

He said I was healing fine. Then he dropped the bomb. He said I have a cancer. A cancer. There are so many can you narrow it down. He said it was a skin cancer and I was instantly struck speechless.

He said he wanted to see me in a month. A month? All I can figure on this wait is that he's probably gonna talk to a dermatologist or oncologist to get more information. And that was that.

Now I have a month to let it sink in. Of course I came home and went to Webmd.com to get some information. There are three major forms of skin cancer, the one that jumped out at me was Kaposi Sarcoma which HIV patients get.

That's all I know for now. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!! See you in a month!!!!!! What about tomorrow!!!! Do you have a case manager you can speak with - cancer needs treatment now - not he'll see you back in a month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did he do a biopsy previously? If so, he should have been able to tell you the results. KS is not as bad as it sounds anymore.

    It can be controlled with HIV meds keeping you immune system strong. I've had it on the skin and the lungs. Went through chemo and survived. Chemo is usually only used if it's spread to the lungs or gut. That was 7 years ago.

    So don't sweat it so much. Do your own research. Most of the oncologists I saw at CTRC had only a basic knowledge of KS. It's pretty rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your insight Anonymous. Believe me I've been researching this one.

    ReplyDelete