21 February 2021

2021- The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity

 As we all know, February is Black History month. I was very ignorant about it. I was working at UH in the library of course. There, I started to learn about Black History from my colleagues. They also taught me about Mexican History.

Decades later, I was working at the Austin Library branch, George Washington Carver Library located in the hood. I was a white man of Mexican descent working with Black personnel. I was an instant success. 

There, I was exposed to Black and Mexican history. It was a family-like atmosphere and I felt content. They were amazed at my knowledge of Black history. They considered me a Black man. What a compliment.

It was interesting to look at life as a Black human being. Every February we would get a lot of questions about the theme for that year. The title of this year's is in the Title of this post. I also read a Langston Hughes poem in French.

Fun story: We used to have a business library and we were one of the few with typewriter access. One day, a biracial couple was using it. It was closing time and I asked to finish their work. The woman who was Black accused me of being racist and called me rude.

The next day I told my story to the head librarian, who was Black. He laughed at my story and nicknamed me Rudy.


No comments:

Post a Comment