18 May 2021

AMERICA'S NATIONAL DRINKING SONG

 As y'all know, I was forced to go to parochial school for eight years. I hated every minute of it, but I did have a great education.

I hated the nuns and priests. For the most part, the nuns were Irish. They opened my eyes to a lot of things.

One of the things I remember was that they said the national anthem was originally an English drinking song.

It wasn't until later that I was able to confirm this. 

This song is appropriate because it says that Americans are drunks. And it made sense. There is a movement to get rid of the American drinking song. 

The drinking song was only added in 1929, which is appropriate considering the Depression. It is a very depressing song and you really have to be drunk to hit that note. 

A poem, written by Francis Scott Key, a slave owner. He actually liked the drinking song and he used it before for another poem.

There are more appropriate songs by American musicians. The few I can mention are, America The Beautiful or This Land is Your Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU-aJ4lhFbU

No comments:

Post a Comment